Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Liebeslieder Connection

I've often been asked how I became entranced with ballet -- specifically New York City Ballet -- and I always tell the story of my entanglement with Brahms 'Liebeslieder Waltzes'.

I started taking piano lessons from Mrs. Mabel Carter when I was in first grade.  Every year I would play a new more advanced piece in Mrs. Carter's annual recital.  In junior high, I switched to Miss Alice Calvert because she was just across the street from Paris Gibson Junior High School and participated in Miss Calvert's recitals each year.  Since she taught voice as well, these would have been a mix of vocal and piano music.

I stopped piano lessons during my freshman year at Great Falls High School, but picked them up again during my sophomore year, studying with Mrs. Edna Jorgenson (who we all called Jorgie).  Jorgie encouraged playing pieces for multiple pianists -- 1 piano-4 hands; 2 pianos-4 hands; and 2 pianos-8 hands.  As the only boy in Jorgie's stable, I was sought after for these group efforts and played in all three forms over the next three years with a variety of partners -- Pat  Shorey, Jordis Erickson, and Marylynn Olson among them.

At one of Jorgie's annual recitals, two older girls played Brahms' 'Liebeslieder Waltzes', Opus 52 (without the vocal quartet -- we knew no better in Montana in the 50's).  I was immediately smitten with these gorgeous miniatures and determined to encounter them again.

When I got to Dartmouth I stopped taking piano lessons during my first two years and concentrated on singing in the Glee Club.  In my junior year I began taking piano lessons from Madame Lydia Hoffman-Behrendt, a well-known pianist who had fled Germany with her architect husband in the 30's.  She had many excellent students, including my roommate that year, John McSherry, who was the accompanist of the Glee Club and had played a recital at Carnegie Recital Hall before coming to Dartmouth.  With Madame Behrendt I studied several pieces by Brahms over the next three years.

During my senior year at Dartmouth, I decided to skip Winter Carnival and headed to New York City for a long weekend.  In the New York Times I saw an advertisement for New York City Ballet that they were performing 'Brahms' Liebeslieder-Waltzer' and I attended that performance at City Center in the winter of 1962.

What a revelation!  Eight graceful dancers; two wonderful pianists and four singers in a lovely Biedermeier parlor setting making this treasured music visual. Balanchine's ability to 'see the music' was truly there for me that evening.  I wish that I had saved the program, but surely among the eight dancers were Jillana, Melissa Hayden, Violet Verdy, Conrad Ludlow and Jacques d'Amboise.  (Maybe someday I'll take the time to find it at the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center.)

Here are some photos from the 2012 New York City Ballet casts:


Megan Fairchild & Chase Finlay (debuts 5/19/12) by Kolnik

Robert Fairchild (Megan's brother) & Sterling Hyltin (debuts 5/19/12) by Kolnik

Tyler Peck & Justin Peck (not related) (debuts 5/19/12) by Kolnik

Sebastien Marcovici & Janie Taylor (5/21/12 - the night he proposed to her) by Kolnik

I went back to Hanover determined to study the Opus 52 set of waltzes.  Mme. Behrendt  taught it to George Olsen (a classmate who was attending the Dartmouth Medical School) and me the following winter when we were both in graduate school in Hanover.  For a recital, she insisted that it needed to be done 'correctly' with a vocal quartet which she recruited.  She did allow us to use two pianos since we were alternating between the upper and lower registers between waltzes (George played all of the most difficult parts).  We performed Brahms 'Liebeslieder Waltzes, Opus 52' at a recital at the new Hopkins Center for the Arts as part of my Amos Tuck School graduation weekend.

I also played the Chopin's 'Waltz No.7 In C Sharp Minor, Op.64 No.2'  which I had undertaken as a means of perfecting two-against-three timing.  Lo and behold in 1969 this piece also turned up at NYC Ballet in Jerome Robbins' 'Dances at a Gathering'. 

So I have to say that it was 'the Liebeslieder connection' that led me over many years to New York City Ballet.  And it's the love of music that keeps me going regularly, because on a good night you really do 'see the music' there. 


5 comments:

  1. Do you know the birth/death dates of Lydia Hoffman-Behrendt, please? I am research musical life in Buffalo and she appears regularly (and importantly). Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I found this in the footnotes of a paper about her husband, Walter Curt Behrendt:

      "Any papers Behrendt might have left at Dartmouth or with his wife, the concert pianist Lydia Hofmann Behrendt, who died in Hanover in 1971, were thrown out in a "house-cleaning," according to a letter from Hugh Morrison to Ken Cramer, Dartmouth archivist, from Aug. 1971."

      Madam Hoffmann-Behrendt was quite old when I studied piano with her in the early 60's. There is an immigration record for her in Ancestry.com (which is a subscription site) that might have her birth date.

      Doug

      Delete
  2. Doug --

    I happened to look up my former piano teacher, Lydia Hoffman-Behrendt, on the internet, and I stumbled upon your December 28, 2013 article entitled “The Liebeslieder Connection.” It brought back a flood of happy memories. I was one of Mrs. B’s piano students in the mid-1960’s, and although I loved many things about Dartmouth, nothing was more rewarding or enriching than the time I spent studying with her.

    I vividly remember working on a number of different pieces (I loved the Brahms, but not the Hindemith). I also remember the smoldering anxiety I felt preparing for student recitals at the end of each semester. Of course, all of her students looked forward to the party after the recitals, particularly the gluvine which she served at her home across the river from Hanover in Norwich, Vermont. After my very first recital, during which I struggled to get through two Brahms Intermezzos, I asked her what she thought of my playing. She took a minute to reflect and told me, with characteristic honesty: “It wasn’t really Brahms, it was still very musical…” I was very happy with that judgment.

    I was convinced her style of playing was exceptional. So I asked Mrs. B if she would be willing to give a recital at my fraternity -- it had a beautiful wood-paneled living room and lots of room for guests. When she agreed, I rented a grand piano for the occasion. My fraternity brothers were a bit surprised, but supportive, particularly after they heard her practicing. The program was open to everyone, which took place on a cold and crisp winter’s day. The audience was welcoming, and I remember that she gave a stunning performance of Schumann’s piano sonata no. 1 in F-sharp minor (with its amazing introduction). It seemed to me that she played the sonata in a Germanic style -- very strong, yet nuanced. It remains a very special memory for me.

    So far as I can tell, the performance of the Liebeslieder Waltzer you described at Dartmouth must have taken place around 1962. I am sorry to have missed it -- I started Dartmouth in 1963. I never played the Liebeslieder Waltzer with Mrs. B, but I agree that the New York City Ballet program is a special combination of the genius of Brahms and Balanchine -- it is my personal favorite of all of Balanchine ballets. I have stuck with playing the less demanding Brahms Opus 39 waltzes (one piano, four hands) -- which are a lot of fun to play, if you haven’t tried them.

    Thanks for posting your article. I enjoyed it very much.

    Mike Merenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear your story, Doug, hope you have had a fantastic career. Best wishes from a fellow tenor in Zeller's club from Bob Esch.

    ReplyDelete